April 10, 2012
European-American Chamber hosts conference
Regional event to further the dialogue on skilled labor and job creation
The European-American Chamber of Commerce (EACC) will host its annual conference, expo and gala on Wednesday, May 16, 2012, at the Hilton Netherland Plaza, Downtown Cincinnati. Conference content is focused on “Skilled Labor Workforce: U.S. and European Perspectives”, and will explore best practices for recapitalizing the U.S.’s skilled labor workforce for economic prosperity and global competitiveness. Special guest His Excellency, João Vale de Almeida, Ambassador of the European Union to the United States, will provide opening remarks via live feed. Keynote addresses will be delivered by Karen Elzey, Director of the Skill for America’s Future Program at The Aspen Institute and Mr. Joerg Ernst, Executive Vice President, Global Business at Siemens AG.
“With over 250 European companies employing 30,000 in our region, there is an opportunity to identify solutions that attract and retain important foreign direct investment seeking skilled labor to boost their U.S. production.” EACC Executive Director Anne Cappel said. “While this conversation has been ongoing in our region, we are providing a platform for community stakeholders to connect and discuss how we can work to grow our skilled labor work force on both sides of the Atlantic.” The May 16th conference will present a broad and unique transatlantic perspective on strategies to improve and increase a workforce with the right skills. Over 200 attendees representing the region are expected at the conference.
Speakers from the academic, public and private sectors, among others, include:
- Martin von Walterskirchen, Minister, Regional Director Americas of Switzerland Trade and Investment Promotion
- LaVaughn Henry, Vice President and Senior Regional Officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
- Neil Hensley, Senior Director of Economic Development at Cincinnati USA Regional Partnership
- Sheila Wells, Assistant Manager, North American Production Support Center, Toyota Motor Engineering and Manufacturing North America
- Janice Urbanik, Director Industry Partnership, Partners for a Competitive Workforce
- Andrew Maciejewski, Executive Administrator, Ohio State Apprenticeship Council.
A networking reception will immediately follow the conference. The Gala Dinner, featuring Mr. Joerg Ernst, Executive Vice President, Global Business at Siemens AG will conclude the event.
For a full agenda of events and to register for events, please visit www.europe-cincinnati.com and click on the EACC 2012 Conference & Gala icon.