August 13, 2013
Labor and employment law session
U.S. businesses added 200K jobs in July - 20K more than anticipated for the month - with 41% of the job growth coming from small businesses. Professional and businesses services led jobs gains, followed by trade, transportation, utilities and construction. Whether you're adding to staff or thinking about expanding, join with us and Frost, Brown, Todd and the Occupational Health & Safety Association for expert guidance on understanding the issues that affect your workforce - and your bottom line.
Labor & Employment Law Update
Tuesday, August 20, 2013, 9-11 a.m.
We'll review several important areas of labor and employment law, including:
- Trends in Retaliation Claims - This talk will describe the fastest growing claims in the workforce today. It will provide some practical steps to try to minimize the risk of these claims.
- Recent Issues in the FMLA/ADA - An overview of the most significant cases from the last year dealing with the FMLA and the ADA and a discussion of best practices to recognize and avoid common FMLA/ADA problems.
- The NLRB is Not an Employer's Facebook Friend - This segment will provide an overview of the NLRB's very narrow interpretation of seemingly neutral social media policy and handbook language.
- EEOC's New Guidelines on Using Conviction Records - This segment will provide an overview of the EEOC's recent pronouncement on the use of conviction records in hiring, as well as guidance on how to traverse this potentially problematic area.
- Stay Safe With OSHA - An interactive discussion between counsel for employers and Bill Wilkerson, Director of the Cincinnati Area Office of OSHA on emerging trends in safety enforcement, common mistakes employers make, and tips for OSHA compliance and workplace safety.
You'll hear from:
Rob Hudson, Member, Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Neal Shah, Managing Associate, Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Richard L. Moore, Member, Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Gerron McKnight, Senior Associate, Frost Brown Todd, LLC
Bill Wilkerson, OSHA Cincinnati Area Office
Andy Kaake, Member, Frost Brown Todd, LLC