February 12, 2013
Julia Poston, WE Celebrate Woman of the Year, mentor and advocate for women
Julia Poston began her career in public accounting after earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Miami University. Over the next 29 years, she married, had three children and became a Certified Public Accountant in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, and Nebraska. During this time, she also climbed to the top of the corporate ladder. In 2008, she became Managing Partner for the Cincinnati office of Ernst & Young, LLC; the first female to hold this position in the firm’s history.
As her career advanced, Poston began devoting time and energy to help other women achieve success in their careers, and to say she is passionate about it is an understatement. Her philosophy is “lift as you climb” and she lives and breathes it every day -- at work and in our community.
At Ernst & Young, Poston has been a leading force in the firm’s Inclusiveness strategy. She has also served as a Regional Inclusiveness leader, Regional Gender Equity leader, and a National Gender Equity Task Force member, and in 2008, was a national finalist for the firm’s Rosemarie Meschi award for supporting and advancing the careers of women.
In our community, Poston inspires women to reach their full potential by speaking at numerous conferences and events. She is also an active volunteer in several organizations, many of which support the advancement of women. Her community involvement includes:
• Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber Women Excel (WE), Executive Advisory Board Member
• United Way of Greater Cincinnati, Board Member
• United Way Accountability and Services Committee Member
• United Way Tocqueville Society member
• United Way Women’s Leadership Committee member
• World Choir Games 2012, Board Member and Treasurer
• Downtown Cincinnati, Inc. (DCI), Board Member
• YWCA of Greater Cincinnati, Board Member
• Cincinnati Women’s Executive Forum, President/Chair and Co-Founder
• American Heart Association, 2011 Chairwoman of “Go Red for Women”
• Xavier University Accountancy Advisory Board Member
• Women’s Capital Club, Member
• Greater Cincinnati Mutual Funds Association, Co-founder and past President and Trustee
• Leadership Cincinnati, Class 34
• Queen City Club, Member
Her contributions and achievements have earned her several prestigious awards. In 2010, she was recognized as one of “Ohio’s Most Influential Women” and was a winner of the Diversity Journal’s “Women Worth Watching” award in 2012. And now added to that list is her honor for “Woman of the Year – Corporate," given at the Chamber's 2012 WE Celebrate Awards breakfast in December.
“I think that it is very important to recognize women who are such an important part of our community," Poston said. "To be a progressive city, we need to attract and retain diverse talent. WE Celebrate is a great way to do that.”
Poston added that her award is an important one for Ernst & Young. “The award is a fantastic recognition for our firm. The nature of the award—recognizing women—underscores the importance Ernst & Young placed on diversity and inclusion,” she said.
Ernst & Young has been a member of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber for 20 years. According to Poston, being a member helps the firm stay current on local business issues and provides opportunities to be involved in many of the Chamber’s leadership programs.
Poston is being featured at the Chamber’s WE Speak program with Andrea Ayers, the new president and CEO of Convergys on March 27. Hear more about her journey to the top.
Learn more and register for WE Speak here