The Chamber is seeking a Human Resource Generalist to play a critical role in advancing the goals and initiatives of the human resource department. The HR Generalist will assume significant responsibility over core HR processes and tasks, will serve as a subject-matter expert, and will coordinate and organize the work of the HR team, including work performed with senior leadership and cross-functional teams. This position will be responsible for managing the HRIS, onboarding new employees, recruitment and selection, benefits and claims management, compensation administration including payroll, records retention, invoice reconciliation, policy administration, and HR compliance functions. This position requires an extremely perceptive individual who can relate to employees at all levels within the organization. The individual must be knowledgeable about and sensitive to organizational strategic priorities, daily operational demands and employee goodwill. This position is best suited for an individual with strong attention to detail, preference for technical analysis, and an analytical thinker with a robust HR background. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and Organizational Development.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
HRIS, File Management, Reporting & Compliance:
- Maintain electronic personnel records and other employee and candidate documentation and files according to federal requirements, state requirements, and best practice. Ensure compliance with team’s records retention policy.
- Ensure compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification. Periodically audit Forms I-9.
- Maintain accurate employee information in the HRIS system and the online portals of our benefits providers. Enter and update employment terms, status changes, and changes in benefit elections promptly.
- Work with Director of HR and Senior Inclusion Advisor to monitor diversity and inclusion metrics and measures of success. File annual EEO-1 report and maintain other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Assist Director in ensuring compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and posting requirements.
- Co-manage HR team’s records retention practice and ensure following of best practice.
Benefits Management & Open Enrollment:
- Process Worker’s Compensation requests, unemployment claims, FMLA requests, STD claims, LTD claims, life insurance claims and leave of absence request. Maintain case files as update personnel files as appropriate. Manage ongoing communication with employee and with providers regarding claim/leave status. Troubleshoot claim issues with insurance provider as needed.
- Organize and manage the open enrollment process by scheduling events and assisting with employee and affiliate communication, coordinating providers, and maintaining subject-matter expertise on entire portfolio of benefits.
- Monitor employee eligibility for benefits plans. Review benefits with employees and process enrollment, cancellation or changes. Manage provider communication regarding changes.
- Verify accuracy of monthly benefit invoices and process for payment.
- Administer COBRA benefits for group health plans.
- Manage PTO banks by adding and expiring hours in accordance with internal policy and practice. Update HRIS and communicate to employees appropriately.
- Prepare and circulate the 401K Summary Annual Report and annual fee disclosure each year.
Onboarding & Separations:
- Responsible for all new hire onboarding communication prior to start-date.
- Coordinate and lead the onboarding of all new hires in conjunction with appropriate parties. Schedule all cross-functional orientation meetings/introductions. Ensure completion of new hire checklist.
- Conduct new hire orientation which includes benefits review, Paycor training, policy review, GIVE model and culture overview.
- Prepare separation materials including termination or layoff letter and documentation and exit packet. Ensure completion of exit checklist. Manage all employee communication following separation, as appropriate.
Recruiting & Selection:
- Lead the recruitment and selection processes, end to end. This includes drafting job descriptions, posting openings, collecting and reviewing resumes, conducting phone interviews, assisting with candidate selection, overseeing and coordinating the interview and selection process, coordinating drug and background checks, and managing all candidate and hiring team correspondence.
Performance & Training:
- Support the performance management process by ensuring completion of online assessments and goal setting, set deadlines, and provide technical assistance and training on the online performance management system.
- Circulate training calendar on a quarterly basis, schedule and coordinate planned training events, identify and secure third-party trainers and vendors as appropriate, and provide technical assistance and training for or online learning platforms.
- Collect time sheets in advance of each payroll processing date.
- Complete payroll change forms and review with Director in advance of each payroll processing date.
- Consult with Finance on payroll changes, including but not limited to new hires, separations, HSA changes, 401K contribution limits, etc. Manage and initiate appropriate payroll changes in HRIS.
- Ensure accuracy of payroll each processing date by reviewing all pay, bonus, tax, and benefit deduction amounts. Ensure accuracy of payroll roster.
Policy Management & Employee Relations:
- Assist in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures. Prepare and maintain the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Advise employees and leaders on HR policies and procedures when appropriate.
- Act as an employee relations specialist when needed.
Employee Engagement, Wellness & Culture:
- Provide support in the development and execution of all engagement, celebration and employee recognition events.
- Communicate, coordinate and plan wellness activities and charitable initiatives.
Administration & Data Analysis:
- Maintain company organization charts and the employee directory.
- Maintain spreadsheet of key HR metrics and measures of team performance and overall organizational “health” and culture.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Action & Results Oriented
- Decision Making
- Planning and Time Management
- Priority Setting
- Approachability & Interpersonal Savvy
- Customer Focus
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Global and Cultural Awareness/Diversity Advocate and Manager
The HR Generalist does not have supervisory responsibility. This role inspires action through influence.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or 2-3 additional years of equivalent work experience required.
- PHR/SPHR , SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification required.
- Minimum of 3 years of HR generalist experience required.
- Professional history of high-level accountability and ownership required.
- Experience with payroll processing and compensation and benefits administration required.
- Experience in using an HRIS, preferably Paycor, required.
- Experience in 401K administration preferred.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Candidates will be evaluated on the competencies listed above, the required education and experience, and their ability to perform the essential functions as assessed through interview and reference checks. In addition, preference will be given to candidates with:
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with a high degree of professionalism
- Ability to interact and build relationships with people of diverse backgrounds, personalities and characteristics, including but not limited to age, gender-identity, race, nationality, ethnicity, religious beliefs, disability status, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, and physical appearance.
The position is located in a climate-controlled downtown office site and requires a minimal amount of external activity. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. The job will require talking, listening, researching, data entry, and sitting for long periods working at a computer screen. The employee will sit 75% of their workday. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position does not require travel. Requirements include some evenings and weekends with a flexible work week available to accommodate these instances.
We commit to achieving tangible results in a supportive team environment built on respect, energy, curiosity, continuous improvement, and positive attitudes and relationships.
We are visionaries, collaborators, and makers of change.
We lead inclusively with passion, integrity, and fun!
And, we model inclusion and regional thinking in everything we do.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. Position offers a rewarding challenge in a professional environment, competitive salary and excellent benefit package. The Chamber does not provide sponsorship for work visas.
Please submit resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.